Magnolia Trace Elementary
Junior FIRST Lego League
This is a unique learning opportunity for 3rd grade students to apply STEM; science, technology, engineering, and mathematics; while using Legos.
The 2015 Jr. FIRST Lego League (Jr. FLL) teams will work in teams comprised of 4 students and 1 adult coach. They will meet after school 1-2 times a month for 1 hour to:
- explore simple machines and mechanical designs using Legos.
- practice “Gracious Professionalism” while working in collaboration teams.
- research specific ways to help students think and design a motorized invention that will assist people in generating new ideas.
- create a poster display that communicates the team's Think Tank research and the functionality of their motorized invention related to the 3 Rs: Recycle, Reduce, Reuse.
- present the culmination of their work publicly at a school exposition.
All 3rd grade applications are due to homeroom teachers or the front office by Tuesday, August 18, 2015. Late applications will not be accepted.
2015/16 Jr. FIRST Lego League Application
On Friday, August 21, 20 students were randomly selected for MTE's Jr. FLL from an application pool of 55 boys and 27 girls. Letters of acceptance were sent home to those who were selected and team coaches called the parents to notify them as well. Application dues and T-shirt order forms are due Thursday, August 27th.
* If your child was not selected via the MTE program and you still want them to participate in Jr. FLL, neighborhood parents, brownie/boy scout troops, and/or church groups could decide to form thier own Jr. FLL by following the procedures on the official website:
2015-2016 Jr. FIRST Lego League Meeting Dates
Monday, Aug. 31st 4 - 5:00pm
Monday, Sept. 14th 4 - 5:00pm
Monday, Oct. 5th 4 - 5:00pm
Monday, Oct. 26th 4 - 5:00pm
Monday, Nov. 9th 4 - 5:00pm
Monday, Nov. 30th Research & Record Homework is due to coaches.
Research & Record Homework Form
(students have 2 assigned questions)
Monday, Dec. 7th 4 - 5:00p
* Optional attendance at LA Jr. FLL Expo in New Orleans
at Holy Cross High School in December
Monday, Jan. 11th 4 - 5:00pm
Monday, Feb. 1st 4 - 5:00pm
Monday, Feb. 22nd 4 - 5:30pm
Monday, March 14th 4 - 5:30pm (canceled due to bad weather, rescheduled Monday, March 21)
Monday, April 4th 4 - 5:30pm
* Friday, April 8th , parents and the entire school will be able to visit with our Jr. FLL teams and learn about their reseach via the
MTE Jr. FIRST Lego League Expo in the 100 Wing.
1st Session will run from 9:10 – 10:00.
2nd Session will run from 10:10 - 11:00.
Check out the work that last year's Jr. FLL teams accomplished:
2013 Jr. FLL Challenge