Magnolia Trace Elementary
Junior FIRST Lego League
This is a unique learning opportunity for 3rd grade students to apply STEM; science, technology, engineering, and mathematics; while using Legos.
The 2017 Jr. FIRST Lego League (Jr. FLL) teams will work in teams comprised of 4 students and 1 adult coach. They will meet after school once a month for 1 hour the 1st semester & 1 1/2 hours the 2nd semester to:
- explore simple machines and mechanical designs using Legos.
- practice “Gracious Professionalism” while working in collaboration teams.
- research specific ways to help students think and design a motorized invention that will assist people in generating new ideas.
- create a Lego display that communicates the team's research and the functionality of their motorized invention related to the season's challenge
- present the culmination of their work publicly at a school exposition.
All 3rd grade applications are due to homeroom teachers or the front office by Wednesday, Sept. 6, 2017. Late applications will not be accepted.
2017/18 Jr. FIRST Lego League Application
On Friday, Sept. 8th students will be randomly selected form MTE's Jr. FLL applications. Letters of acceptance will be sent home to those who were selected on that day and team coaches will call their parents to notify them as well. Application dues and T-shirt order forms will be due Tues, Sept. 12th.
* If your child was not selected via the MTE program and you still want them to participate in Jr. FLL, neighborhood parents, brownie/boy scout troops, and/or church groups could decide to form thier own Jr. FLL by following the procedures on the official website:
2017-2018 Jr. FIRST Lego League Meeting Dates
Monday, Sept. 25th 4 - 5:00pm, Topic - gears
Monday, Oct. 23rd 4 - 5:00pm, Topic - levers
Monday, Nov. 27th 4 - 5:00pm, Topic - wheels & axles
Monday, Dec. 11th, 4 - 5:00pm, Topic - pulleys & motors
Monday, Dec. 11th students will be giving a research assingment (typically 2 questions pertaining to the upcoming challenge) to conduct at home with the assistance of a parent & will report thier findings at the Jan. 29th meeting.
Monday, Jan. 29th 4 - 5:30pm, Topic-whole group challenge
Monday, Feb. 26th 4 - 5:30pm, Topic-whole group challenge
Monday, March 26th 4 - 5:30pm, Topic-whole group challenge
Monday, April 23rd 4 - 5:30pm, Topic - speech & PPT creations
Monday, May7th 4th 4 - 5:30pm, Topic - finishing touches
* Friday, May 11th, 2nd grade students & parents are invited to view the Lego Expo from 1:30-3:15.
* Friday, May 18th, 3rd grade studets & parents are invited to view the Lego Expo from 9:30 - 11:30.